Therapeutic Listening is…
- An evidenced based intervention that incorporates sound paired with sensory activities for those who present with sensory processing difficulties.
- This program uses sound patterns combined with music, to benefit all levels of the nervous system.
- The use of therapeutic listening can increase attention, balance, body awareness, control, and communication.
How it Works
- The ear’s function is to feel and hear sounds and movements, which is also known as the vestibular-cochlear system.
- The part of the ear known as the cochlea is responsible for responding to vibrations and a variety of sound waves.
- The vestibular portion is responsible for detecting movements of one’s head in space.
- The Therapeutic Listening Program is used to stimulate and exercise this vestibular- cochlear system and is designed in a way to enhance the accuracy of sensory information that processed throughout the whole nervous system.
- The program includes a variety of music using electronically altered chips.
Who Is Therapeutic Listening For
Those who have difficulties with:
- Regulating sleep patterns
- Visual perceptual
- Reduced self-esteem
- Impulsive behaviors
- Delayed motor skills
- Poor balance
- Poor motor planning
- Sensory Processing Disorders
- Downs Syndrome
- Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Learning Difficulties
Benefits of Therapeutic Listening
- Postural control
- Fine motor skills
- Balance & coordination
- Motor Planning/Praxis
- Oral motor control
- Social skills
- Toilet training
- Improved sleeping patterns
- Increased visual perceptual skills
Length of Program
- The child will listen to music 2 times per day for 30 minutes, 7 days per week.
- Music selections (chips) are individualized and are based on the child’s specific needs and listened to in 2-week intervals, moving up from Engagement, to Interaction, to Discrimination.
- The program will typically last for 12 weeks, based on the child’s responses and needs.
- When listening to the music, they should engage in play, sensory activities, or listen quietly (NO ELECTRONICS/SCREEN TIME).
- The child will be evaluated by a therapist who is trained in TL (therapeutic listening) and has the course completion number, which will be used to order the music chips.
- The family will be provided with a listening protocol (sensory diet) to carry over at home on a daily basis for a length of time that is appropriate for the child.
- The certified therapist must monitor sensory diet weekly.
Therapeutic Listening App
- You may also access Therapeutic Listening on an Apple or Android device.
- The therapeutic Listening App is accessible on iTunes.