I am sure mothers and fathers have spent plenty of sleepless nights trying to calm down their little ones and help them fall asleep. Today, I thought it would be interesting to discuss different sensory strategies to help your little one sleep at night!
Sleeping Tips and Tricks
- It is important to stick to a bedtime routine as much as possible; this will allow the child to understand that at a certain time the bedtime routine will begin and it is time to relax.
2. Use calming essential oils such as lavender or chamomile; this can be distributed through an essential oil diffuser or rolled onto the wrist, neck, or behind the ears. Young Living Oils is a trustworthy company with clean oils.
3. Use a sound machine or relaxing music to quiet background noise and ensure a calm environment.
4. Reduce lighting or use a nightlight to help the child become comfortable and feel safe.
5. Give the child a warm bath right before bed to calm their sensory system and begin to relax them.
6. Wrap them like a burrito, tightly in a soft blanket to resemble a tight hug, which offers deep pressure touch and proprioceptive input.
7. Use a familiar bed time song or read a bed time book to relax the child’s mind.
8. Use a weighted blanket for deep pressure input to calm the child’s sensory system. The blanket weight is no more than 10% of your child’s body weight.