What is Interoception?
- A sense that helps you understand and feel what is going on inside of your body (internal sense)
- Difficulties with this sense can also make the skill of self-regulation a challenge
- This sense begins from receptors inside of your organs, including your skin
What conditions can be affected by a dysfunction of the interoception sense:
- Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Sensory Processing Disorder
- Anxiety Disorder/Depression
- Down syndrome
- Eating Disorder
- Does the individual have difficulty controlling their emotions? If so, how often does this happen?
- Does the individual have difficulties with sleep? Describe.
- Do you ever need to remind the individual to eat, even after long periods of time?
- Has the individual ever been injured and not felt pain? If so, describe.
- Heavy work activities
- A sensory diet incorporating a multi-sensory activity approach
- Complete a body scan to detect how your body is feeling and to become more self-aware, start at the brain and work your way all the way down your body until you reach your feet and toes:
- Think about your eyes. Do they feel blurry, heavy, itchy, watery, teary, or stingy?