Zones of Regulation
- The Zones of Regulation is a conceptual framework used to teach children self-regulation, self control, and emotional control.
- This tool is used by occupational therapists, teachers, and parents to help children move between zones depending on their emotions at that time.
- The zones are categorized by alertness and emotions. The most common example of zones are colors, but there are many different fun options OTs can use with children during their treatment sessions.
- If a child appears upset, the OT will have them choose which zone they are in and will communicate with the child on how to move into a more positive zone and emotional state.
- OTs will used this treatment tool before, during, and at the end of a treatment session. The will tailor their session to positively assist the child in gaining control over their emotions.
These are different examples a therapist can use with the child during an OT session.
Blue Zone: bored, exhausted, tired, sick, etc Yellow Zone: silly, frustrated, worried, etc
Green Zone: calm, proud, focused, etc Red Zone: angry, mean, out of control, etc
Zones of Regulation App
- $5.99 on Apple App Store
- Ages: 4 +
- This is a fun and interactive app use to teach children:
- Self-regulation skills
- Learn non-verbal expressions
- Go through different scenarios where the child can choose the proper response
- Learn about cues from their body and brain
- And more