Here at Building Blocks, we are going to begin a weekly game recommendation on our blog! The blog will discuss how to play the game and the functional benefits your child will benefit from when playing the game.
Made by Goliath Games
How to Play?
This cute caterpillar comes with 28 multicolored marbles and a sticker sheet to designate a specific color on each layer of the caterpillar. The goal is to place your colored marbles from his bottom row of hands all the way to the top row of hands as the caterpillar wiggles to music. The child needs to be precise and take their time because as he wiggles the marbles may fall off of his hands. The first player to get all of their marbles on in a row is the winner.
What does this game work on?
- Hand-Eye Coordination
- Functionally, this skill is used when grasping/releasing items, playing sports, playing an instrument, puzzles, and more.
- Color Recognition
- Functionally, this skill is used when getting dressed, driving, cooking, recognizing hot vs cold in the shower/sink, and more.
- Fine Motor Skills
- Pincer grasp
- Three-jaw chuck
- Finger dexterity
- Functionally, this skill used to pick up coins, manipulating clothing (buttons, zippers, snaps), clasping jewelry, properly holding writing and feeding utensil, and more.
- Visual-Perceptual Skills
- Functionally, this skill is used when getting dressed, cooking/eating, writing, understanding numbers and letters, being able to organize your environment, and more.
- Gradation of Force and Proprioceptive Awareness
- Functionally, this skill is used when a child is coloring, writing, opening/closing doors, eating using utensils, and more.
This game is a fun and interactive way to help your child develop key developmental skills, while having fun and socializing with other children. This game allows children to experience competitiveness in a safe and fun environment. It is a fun way to work on color recognition and fine motor skills, which are important developmental milestones as the child ages. The therapist and child can work towards his/her therapeutic goals in a fun and interactive way!